MELLOWFIELDS FARM EMPLOYMENT - WASH/PACK Specialist
For an application please email Jessi Asmussen, email@example.com
Mellowfields Farm began in 2009 in the city of Lawrence, growing vegetables for a small CSA and farmers market on empty lots, including the city of Lawrence’s Common Ground Program. In 2017, Mellowfields bought 5 acres just on the eastern edge of Lawrence and continued to grow for market and CSA as well as adding wholesale accounts. Our production methods are certified organic and we are dedicated to growing the health of our soil. In turn this produces healthy and nutritious vegetables. We strive to produce the highest quality produce possible.
We are seeking an individual to join our fast paced, fun-loving team with an emphasis on the washing and processing of vegetables to be packed for orders. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills used to do inventory, check quality and consistency, make lists, and follow specific safety protocols. The candidate should be interested in increasing their skills and knowledge of local food production. Candidates with experience working in food related or physical jobs outdoors (farming, restaurants, landscaping, construction, etc.) will be given preference.
• Start date is April 20th
• Typical work day is 7-8 hours with a paid 30 minute lunch. Start and end times fluctuate with the season.
• Monday through Friday work days available.
• 21-35 hours per week possible in the main season, April 1st - Oct 31st (with some seasonal fluctuation)
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Produce washing and packing: sorting, bagging, packing, labeling
• Record keeping
• Daily clean-up
Less frequent Duties and Responsibilities
• Cultivation with hand tools and hand-weeding
• Irrigation set-up and maintenance
• Prior experience is desired but not a must
• Attention to detail
• Punctuality and strong time management skills
• Positive and energetic disposition with strong interpersonal skills
• Strong back with the ability to lift heavy and awkward objects
• Ability to work well in both a team setting and independently
• Fast learner and ability to adapt to new positions and working with new people
• Ability to take direction, accept constructive feedback and ask for help when needed
• Ability to work at a steady pace in all weather
• Ability to perform and endure repetitive physical work
• Strong mental math skills
• Starting pay: $11.50 -12.50/hr, based on experience
• Quarterly raises
• Mid-season bonus: amount based on overall sales
• Direct deposit available.
• Paid time off annually (pay based on regularly scheduled hours)
• Free food- as many farm seconds as available